Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Watercolor Birthday

    So here we are, the first day of Spring in Rochester, NY. It's sunny with a few clouds, you know the white fluffy ones, and 30 degrees. Not very warm, but you can't have everything, I guess.  I can't wait to be able to open my windows and let the fresh air in, it's been way to long.
     My card today is one I made using a technique I saw in one of Jennifer McGuire's
 video's, I love this technique and have used it many times, with beautiful results.
     First I stamped my image on Canson watercolor paper. I inked up my stamp and spritzed it, quite a lot. and then stamped it. It came out even better than I expected and I set it aside to dry. I don't like to use my heat tool for drying as it might spread the ink where I don't want it, and sometimes warps the paper. Once dry I used my blue painters tape, (I stuck it to my arm to remove some of the stickiness first) and framed my stamped image with it. Then I took one of my background text stamps and inked it up, stamped it off on another piece of paper, then on my background. I repeated this several times using only a small section of the stamp. I used my blending tool and distress ink to color the background. When I took off my tape I had a center background with parts of the flower and branch outside of the inked area.
      I stamped my sentiment, trimmed down my card to 4" x 51/4"added some fun foam and adhered
it to a card.    
                                    
Supplies used:
Penny Black  #40-450 The Unfolding
Penny Black #30-413 Birthday Love
Distress Ink (Dusty Concord, Forest Moss, Shaded Lilac, Gathered Twiggs, Vintage Photo)
Ranger Archival ink (Black)
MISTI
Canson 140lb. watercolor paper
Recollections ivory 110lb. paper
Fun Foam
Blue Painters tape
I will be entering this card in these challenges:
CAS-Watercolor-March Challenge-Garden
Penny Black Saturday Challenge-Anything goes
Time Out Challenge- 4th Birthday
The Flower Challenge-#18 Anything goes

    
As always I hope you have a wonderfully, crafty day.
God Bless,
Karen
























18 comments:

  1. This technique worked so well, you did a great job. It has a lovely arty feel to it and the colour combo you chose is perfect. Thanks for joining Time Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much,Sandie, I'm so glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card! Your image came out so well - I find it's tricky to get just the right amount of water when using that technique. And the text background is perfect. Thanks so much for joining us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I really love this technique and have made many, cards using it.

      Delete
  4. Great card Karen.I love this stamp and what you did with it. Great watercolouring and loving the text background too.Thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge' once again ;) Viv DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Viv. I love using flowers on my cards and scrapbook pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another gem!! You inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...another great card, Karen! Love the colors! You really nailed that technique! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous technique with a wonderful result, lovely colours and a gorgeous card.
    Thank you for joining us at PBSC
    HUGS Babs x DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous watercoloured flowers and branch Karen. This is a wonderful technique for this image ... looks amazing! Love the masked rectangle with text and blended colour. Having the image go outside the borders is just perfect. Great design. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loll, this is one of my favorite techniques.

      Delete
  10. Gosh, this is gorgeous, Karen ... that lovely spritzed and stamped bloom is so beautifully framed with the scripty background and soft blending ... love how it extends beyond the edges in places! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful flower, Karen! Love the distressed look to the background! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour!

    ReplyDelete