Wednesday, September 7, 2016

First Ever Shaker Card

     Lately I've  been trying as many new techniques as possible, this one gave me the most trouble when I thought it would be simple. Shaker boxes, Ugh!
     I started out with a plan and picked out all my stamps, inks and stencils, then straight to work. The end result is better than I thought but getting there was a nightmare, LOL! I had to replace the Acetate 3 times because of problems I was having with the sequins getting stuck in the background images. Finally I got  some micro beads and that did the trick.
    This is the end result. I just fell in love with these cute little guys and had to find a way to use them all.

Products Used:

Imaginisce Snag'em Stamps Blowfish, Crab, Dolphin and Octopus
Simon Says Wave Stencil #SSST121357
Deep Red (Water droplets background stamp)
Ranger/Dylusions # DYR37798 Ocean Backgrounds
Ranger/Dylusions Spray Inks (London Blue and Calypso Teal)
Ranger #12 DYR47308 mixed media tags
Ranger distress ink
ColorBox  Frost White pigment ink
Gelly Roll  glitter pens
Hero Arts gems
Beader's Paradise Micro Beads
Penny Black #30-358 Happy Snippets
Grumbacher Miskit
Martha Stewart punch

     First I started with the mixed media tag. I sprayed it with water, then  two different colors of ink, sopping up the excess ink with a roll of paper towels. I cut it down to 5x7 because I knew I would need a larger area for the stamped images and the background pieces.  I placed the wave stencil over the background and sprayed with water, let it sit for a few seconds then rolled the paper towels over it to pull some of the ink out. I did this twice to cover the entire background. With my water droplets stamp and the frost white ink pad I stamped bubbles onto the background, and a few fish from my ocean backgrounds. I set that aside.
     Using the Oceans backgrounds set I stamped coral and seaweed on another tag and colored them with my Dylusions inks. I have water brushes filled with every color ink. Then I fussy cut them out and added them to my background.
    I then stamped the Blowfish and others on 110lb card stock and used a paint brush to apply Miskit to the eyes, flowers, fins and spots on each of the images, and let it dry for 5 min; when the Miskit was dry I used Ranger distress inks and blender tool to color the images. I rubbed the Miskit off and used the Gelly Roll pens to color in the flowers, Fins and spots. I fussy cut them out and edged each with a black marker to make them pop.
    Two layers of dimensional adhesive, the acetate and some 110lb card stock around the edges, I used a Martha Stewart punch for the top and used Vintage Photo distress ink over the edges. I stamped the sentiment and added the gems. My fish tank shaker box card is finally done. It was a lot of work but well worth it. Not bad for a first try, I think.

I will be entering this card in these challenges:


Thanks for stopping by!
Have a Wonderfully Crafty Day!!



  1. Glad you persevered, Karen, the results are darling! Thanks for sharing your shaker card with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

  2. It shouldn't have been so difficult,lol. Thanks Lin

  3. A fantastic shaker card Karen!! So bright ans cheerful and a fab idea! Beautiful made! Thanks for joining our challenge at Addicted to Stamps. Marlies

  4. too cute,
    thanks for playing with us at addicted to stamps

  5. So bright and colorful! Thanks so much for playing Virginia’s View “Spray, Mist & Splatter” Challenge! FABULOUS!

    1. I love to use my spray inks and tis challenge was perfect for it, thanks!